None of us are perfect and unfortunately for producers there is a line where economics and sustainability meet, but in baking and business I try to be sensibly ethical.
Here’s the facts about my cakes and bakes:
- We always use local free range and/or RSPCA Freedom Food approved eggs
- Local & UK fruit/veg, oats, vegetable (rapeseed) oil (high in omegas), flour, sugar & butter
- Fairtrade, UTZ, or organic cocoa and coconut
- We use only natural extracts or very occasionally preservatives (as in dried fruit)
- No colouring, so the appearance of our products is the natural reflection of the ingredients and the baking process.
- Simple but arty UK made 80% recycled & recyclable packaging
- We compost, recycle or incinerate all waste; so no landfill
- We pay all taxes with good grace. No loopholes!
Sendmecakes grew out of my original artisan baking business, Lou’s Ladle, which I founded in 2004. Lou’s Ladle is registered with Ashford Borough Council Environmental Health Department, and holds a 5 Star Food Hygiene Rating. Sendmecakes is fully insured and is the online aspect of Lou’s Ladle.
It began with me making and baking cakes, soup and smoothies to sell at local farmer’s markets, but soon a local coffee shop manager who wanted a new range of cakes for customers approached me. The challenge had been set so next I determined the criteria necessary to fulfil the highest coffee shop requirements:
- great taste & texture
- easy to transport
- many different varieties
On top of this, I added my own ethics and standards and after many trials, with much cake tested by family and friends (the strongest of critics!), my new range become a local success.
In 2013 I tried posting a letterbox cake to cheer up a friend, and it went down so well that Sendmecakes soon popped out of the oven! Since then I’ve been refining my range of postable artisan cakes and bakes. Customers have told me that they make ideal gifts for foodie friends and discerning cake-lovers.
I really hope you enjoy these cakes as much as my local customers do. I’m constantly adding to the range so do keep checking back for new varieties.
p.s. Please email me at email@example.com if you have a favourite cake that you’d like me to add.